1. Cut off the top/stem of the onion. Peel off the outer layers of skin. Dispose of skin and trim root end if necessary. Make sure not to contaminate the cutting surface and cleanthe knife before proceeding.
2. To dice, cut the whole peeled onion in half, from roote end to stem end.
3. Lay each half cut side down on cutting board. Make multiple, evenly spaced cuts from root end to stem end of onion, being careful not to cut through the root end. Adjust the space between each cut to obtain the desired dice size.
4. Hold the onion together and make horizontal cuts parallel to the cutting surface. Again, be sure to leave the root end intact.
5. Make multiple cuts across the onion, adjusting the number of slices ofr desired dice size. Dispose of hard root end.
Separate onion pieces. Add to recipe for layers of flavor.
For slices or wedges, cut whole peeled onion in half from stem end to root end. Make evenly spaced cuts along the grain.
For onion rings, place a whle peeled onion on its side and slice crosswise every 1/4 to 1/2-inch. Separate each slice into individual rings. Save the centers to dice for use in other recipes.